Google recently announced that it passed the 25 billion app downloads mark (impressive since they only passed the 10 billion mark 10 months ago). That announcement coupled with some app figures Apple released when the iPhone 5 was launched inspired Read Write Web to take a look at some important OS numbers.
- Android is operating on 500 million smartphones
- 400 million iPhones have been activated (prior to iPhone 5)
- There are 700,000 apps in the Apple App Store
- There are 675,000 apps in Android’s Google Play
- Nearly 30 billion iOS apps have been downloaded
- Just over 25 billion Android apps have been downloaded
- 25 billion Android apps equates to 50 apps per device (if my calculations are right, Apple’s number comes out to about 75 apps per iPhone)
- Between both major operating systems there are around 1,375,000 published apps
- To reach Google’s new milestone of 25 billion downloaded apps, 46,012,269 apps have been downloaded per day since December
That’s a lot of apps, and a lot of downloads. Make sure your app is in tip-top shape before shipping it off to the app store/market, you don’t want it to get lost in the crowd.